The soft and mushy texture of the potatoes complements the tenderness and juiciness of the veal meat.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a large ovenproof skillet, brown veal in 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of butter. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate. In the same skillet, brown onion in 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of butter. Return meat to skillet, add white wine and broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Roast in the oven for 2 hours and 30 minutes. Turn meat twice during cooking.
- Add potatoes around meat and cook, covered, for about 1 hour. Remove lid and cook for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Keep warm.
- In a skillet, soften kale over medium heat in remaining butter (30 ml/2 tablespoons) for about 5 minutes. Add cream and cook until al dente. Season with salt and pepper. Spread kale over potatoes around roast and gently stir cream with cooking juices.
- 1 veal cross rib roast, about 1.5 kg (7.5-cm) and 3 lb (7.5-cm) thick
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) butter
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) white wine
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken broth
- 4 Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) kale leaves (no stems), coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) 35% cream
- Salt and pepper