- (A BBQ can be substituted with the oven at 180deg)
- 2kg of Roasting beef
- 2 Red Onions cut into thick rings (reserve the ends for sauce)
- ½ Bunch Thyme
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (Chopped)
- 1 tbsp Grained Mustard
- 1.5 liters Red Wine
- 1.5 liters Veal Stock
- 50g Butter
- 50ml Olive Oil
- Beef Thermometer
- Salt n Pepper for seasoning
- Preheat BBQ until hot registers on the hood indicator (hood down)
- Combine ½ chopped thyme with 1 chopped garlic clove, sea salt, pepper, mustard and olive oil in a bowl
- Rub the beef with prepared baste and seal on the Char grill bars of your bbq. (Substitute the grill bars with a heavy grill fry pan.)
Sealing the beef will add a lot of flavor, seal in the juices and reduce the cooking time
- Place the beef onto a roasting rack and put in the center of the bbq/oven. In the bbq, turn the burners off under the beef (only have far left and far right burners on)
- Now start the Red Wine Jus…
Whilst tempting try not to open your bbq/oven until its ready to prevent loss of heat and flavor to your roast. Time and Temperature is the key!
- Cooking time is determined by weight of the beef – approximately 22 minutes per kg for medium. (Beef to register 65’C on a meat thermometer)
- Rest the roast for a good 10mins before carving.
- While meat is resting caramelize the onion rings in a fry pan. And finish the sauce.
Red Wine Jus
- To prepare the sauce – sweat off the onion ends, 1 garlic clove and ½ thyme in a small saucepan. Add the red wine and reduce by 2/3’s.
- Add the veal stock
- To finish sauce, let the veal stock reduce by ½.
- Whisk in the butter prior to serving.
Recipe: Tina, North Sydney